Dragonborn Sanctuary

Come join the Dragonborn Sanctuary today for all that is Skyrim and much much more.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Dragonborn Sanctuary

Come join the Dragonborn Sanctuary today for all that is Skyrim and much much more.

Dragonborn Sanctuary

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The source for all of your Skyrim needs.

Black Veil Brides - Set The World On Fire [Album Review]

DarkZX
    DarkZX
    Head DOVahKiiN

Male Posts : 143
    Activity Points : 397
    Birthday : 1993-04-09
    Favorite Activities : Gaming, Writing, Listening to Music, Editing, Graphic Design and Hanging with Friends.
    Main Skyrim Character : ZX of the Dark

Black Veil Brides - Set The World On Fire [Album Review] Empty Black Veil Brides - Set The World On Fire [Album Review]

Post by DarkZX Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:51 am

Set The World On Fire by Black Veil Brides

Reviewed by DarkZX on June 11th 2011
    Updated on July 2nd 2011

Album Artwork:
    Black Veil Brides - Set The World On Fire [Album Review] Black_veil_brides_set_the_world_on_fire_cover
    Genre - Hard Rock / Melodic / Post-Hardcore

Music Staff:

Black Veil Brides
    Andy Biersack - lead vocals, lyrics, keyboards
    Jake Pitts - lead guitar
    Jinxx - rhythm guitar, violin, backing vocals
    Ashley Purdy - bass, backing vocals
    Christian "CC" Coma - drums, percussion

Additional musicians
    Mick Mars - additional lyrics

Production
    Josh Abraham - production
    Luke Walker - production, mixing, mastering
    Chad Michael Ward - photography
    Richard Villa III - artwork, painting, illustration

Introduction: Holy hell... I just got my hands on this album... I have been waiting.... for such a long time to get my hands on this album. The second I started listening to this album, I noticed three major things. One, this album is a MAJOR STEP UP from their debut album, "We Stitch These Wounds". They sound way more complete, way more skilled, and Andy doesn't sound monotone... AT ALL anymore. I was even more excited to find out that the song "Set The World On Fire", the title track on this album was going to be in the new transformers movie, "Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon". Two, group harmonies... so heavily influenced by hard rock and metal from the 1980's. Third, Andy sings with way more passion, the instruments are now at the same pace as Andy's voice. (In the first album Andy's voice sometimes couldn't keep up). Also the influence for this album according to the band members are rather interesting. They were mainly inspired by their fans for their new style, which they looked at what fans feel they could improve on, then improved on such. For his song writing, Andy, even though he is atheist (like myself), has a fascination with religious stories, such as the fall of Satan from heaven. The final inspiration for how the album itself was recorded was directly influenced by "Hysteria" by Def Leppard. Anyways, lets jump right into a track by track review of this amazing album.

Song Titles:

No. Title Length
    1. "New Religion" 3:50
    2. "Set the World on Fire" 3:39
    3. "Fallen Angels" 3:45
    4. "Love Isn't Always Fair" 4:13
    5. "God Bless You" 3:18
    6. "Rebel Love Song" 3:57
    7. "Saviour" 4:23
    8. "The Legacy" 4:40
    9. "Die for You" 3:43
    10. "Ritual" 3:30
    11. "Youth and Whisky" 3:30
    12. "Smoke and Mirrors" 3:45 (Bonus Track)

Track 1: New Religion:
    Immediate blistering guitar, drums as fast and hard as gun bullets, and vocal harmonization. This song has it all. Andy's voice is great in this as well, however it feels like it's lacking feeling. Not one of the best on the album, however it is a really good song.
    Track Rating: 8.1/10 (Very Good)

Track 2: Set The World On Fire:
    This track is the one that has been generating all the buzz lately, as this is on the official Transformers 3 Soundtrack. I have to say, easily one of my favorites on the album. Not only is there great melody, awesome instrumental work and a great overall sound, but the lyrics are top notch, along with Andy's vocal work. This song is absolutely one of the most motivational pieces of art that I have ever heard. It makes you feel powerful, like you can do anything, and it has the power to back that feeling up. Highly recommended.
    Track Rating: 9.4/10 (Amazing)

Track 3: Fallen Angels:
    The first single released from this album, definitely doesn't disappoint. What really stands out in this song are two main things. Vocal harmonization, and amazing guitar solos, those fingers were flying, it proves that they can shred really well. Like other Black Veil Brides song's, this one has motivational lyrics, with this song talking about being unique and yourself, It's a great song, recommended.
    Track Rating: 9.0/10 (Amazing)

Track 4: Love Isn't Always Fair:
    The drums... absolutely incredible drum work. Unfortunately, not much else in this song. The guitars and vocals don't really keep up with the drums, which pretty much eclipse everything else in this song. It had good potential but it didn't work out.
    Track Rating: 6.8/10 (Above Average)

Track 5: God Bless You:
    Starts off with an interesting chug beginning, but quickly goes into something that's somewhat generic. It has a somewhat nice melody, but it's been done before, not one of my favorites on the album.
    Track Rating: 6.4/10 (Above Average)

Track 6: Rebel Love Song:
    Melody. This song has it... no seriously, it seems like the lyrics that Andy wrote for this song just... fit perfectly with the music. A very well crafted song. As for the instruments, the drums lag a bit behind the vocals and the guitar, but all of them are really great. Not to mention the solo. The solo in this song is really awesome.
    Track Rating: 8.5/10 (Very Good)

Track 7: Saviour:
    The best song on the album hands down. Starts off with some slow acoustic work, which then leads into dueling guitars, just as you think it's about to go heavy, the guitars disappear and it goes into a slow acoustic melody. Then Andy starts singing... This is why I said in my introduction that he has improved, his voice is absolutely spectacular, this song has the most depth out of all the songs on this album, and has jumped up onto my top songs list. The song continues to get even more impressive as it goes on. Incorporating more instruments, the violins, piano, slow drums and acoustic guitar are fabulous. Then about three minutes in, it starts to pick up even more, Andy's voice is accompanied by amazing instruments, then his voice gets even deeper. This song is a great song to listen to when you are sad as well, the lyrics will cheer you up, no matter what you are going through. It's such a shift... this is easily the song that I recommend most on this album, if you only listened to one song from this album, this one would be the one.
    Track Rating: 9.7/10 (Absolutely Amazing)

Track 8: The Legacy:
    Instruments... This song has some of the best instruments on the album, Andy's vocals go in really well, he has some pretty good screams in here as well, best on the album in my opinion. What is probably the best on this album though is the Chorus, it just seems like Andy is in near perfect harmony with the rest of the band. Definitely recommended
    Track Rating: 8.8/10 (Very Good)

Track 9: Die For You:
    This song seems stale, I don't know why, they honestly should have just left this song off the album. Everything just seems behind in this album. Not recommended.
    Track Rating: 5.7/10 (Average)

Track 10: Ritual:
    Another interesting song, starts out with an interesting sound coming from the great guitars, then goes throughout the song into a great anthem-like feel like in set the world on fire and fallen angels. It isn't as good as the two I just mentioned, but it's definitely worth checking out, this song also has pretty good solos.
    Track Rating: 8.4/10 (Very Good)

Track 11: Youth and Whiskey:
    This song wins the title as the heaviest record on the album, and has instruments that keep up with, if not outpace the work in the legacy. This song has heavier instrument work, heavier screams. A great adrenaline pumper, another highly recommended song. This song also has a great chorus as well.
    Track Rating: 8.7/10 (Very Good)

Track 12: Smoke and Mirrors:
    This is one of my favorites on the album, I heard it later than the rest of the album, but so far I can see that this song has better melody, better vocals and better instrumentals than most of the songs on the rest of the album. However, surprisingly, this is one of the songs that Andy's vocals really make a strong standpoint. Everything is top notch in this song, vocal harmonization is incredible. Also, this song is quite heavy, however it doesn't have any screaming, which I like, as I feel this song is great the way it is without screaming. This song has some amazing solos, but if you really want to hear some of Andy's best vocal work, check out this song. Highly recommended.
    Track Rating: 9.6/10 (Absolutely Amazing)

Overall Album Rating:
    8.25 (Very Good)

Final Words:
    A vast improvement over their first album. Black Veil Brides has not only matured in their music, but become more inspired, more inspirational, and way more skilled. Their songs have feeling, emotion, and are absolutely motivational, and as such, this album is now in my top 10 album list.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:10 am