Dragonborn Sanctuary

Come join the Dragonborn Sanctuary today for all that is Skyrim and much much more.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Dragonborn Sanctuary

Come join the Dragonborn Sanctuary today for all that is Skyrim and much much more.

Dragonborn Sanctuary

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The source for all of your Skyrim needs.

Attack Attack! - Attack Attack! [Album Review]

DarkZX
    DarkZX
    Head DOVahKiiN

Male Posts : 143
    Activity Points : 397
    Birthday : 1993-04-09
    Favorite Activities : Gaming, Writing, Listening to Music, Editing, Graphic Design and Hanging with Friends.
    Main Skyrim Character : ZX of the Dark

Attack Attack! - Attack Attack! [Album Review] Empty Attack Attack! - Attack Attack! [Album Review]

Post by DarkZX Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:17 am

Attack Attack! by Attack Attack!

Reviewed by DarkZX on June 5th 2011

Album Artwork:
    Attack Attack! - Attack Attack! [Album Review] 2782980
    Genre - Post-Hardcore / Technocore / Screamo

Music Staff:

Attack Attack!
    Caleb Shomo – lead vocals, keyboards, synthesizers, programming, additional guitars
    Johnny Franck – rhythm guitar, clean vocals
    Andrew Whiting – lead guitar
    John Holgado – bass
    Andrew Wetzel – drums, percussion

Production
    Joey Sturgis - production, mastering, mixing
    Eric Rushing - management
    Dave Shapiro - booking
    Caleb Shomo - production
    Doug Cunningham - artwork

Introduction: I originally thought this band was going to break up when Austin Carlile, the original lead vocalist left, but I was wrong, they found a new vocalist, with just as much, if not more talent than Carlile. The presence of clean vocals on this album is very welcome, it blends a wonderful fusion of classical instruments, post-hardcore metal and techno into one short but incredible album. However, it does have its shortcomings. Let's do a track by track review.

Song Titles:

No. Title Length
    1. "Sexual Man Chocolate" 3:17
    2. "Renob, Nevada" 3:13
    3. "I Swear I'll Change" 3:40
    4. "Shut Your Mouth" (featuring McSwagger) 2:43
    5. "A for Andrew" 3:22
    6. "Smokahontas" 3:54
    7. "AC-130" 1:47
    8. "Fumbles O'Brian" 2:57
    9. "Turbo Swag" 3:33
    10. "Lonely" (featuring Jason Cameron of Bury Tomorrow) 5:37

Track 1: Sexual Man Chocolate:
    Who would have thought the first track on the album would be my favorite? Well it is, immediately as you start listening, an amazing piano ballad appears out of nowhere and grips you, followed by a slow build up of the drums leading into the pulsing guitar, the piano then halts and the screaming begins, then it shifts back to the Piano with drums and a section of clean vocals, which are absolutely incredible. It then goes into a segment with techno and clean vocals fueled with some guitar in the back. Then there is a combination segment of the drums and guitar that is stunning and skillful. This is easily one of the best songs on the album and one of my favorites.
    Track Rating: 9.3/10 (Amazing)

Track 2: Renob,Nevada:
    One of the heavier songs on the album. It instantly starts with some great guitar and drum work, has a slight pause then instantly goes into the adrenaline fueled screams. If you want to get your blood pumping listen to this song, it has a nice balance of screams and clean vocals.
    Track Rating: 8.6/10 (Very Good)

Track 3: I Swear I'll Change:
    This.... this song has something that I absolutely love, eerie background music, clean vocals, and violin. However... the thing that keeps this song from being my favorite on this album is the fact that is ruined halfway through with a copy paste chug breakdown. Shame... It could have been one of my favorite songs. I might edit it and cut out the chug breakdown.
    Track Rating: 7.4/10 (Good)

Track 4: Shut Your Mouth:
    I sense techno... Although it's very generic boring techno, the guest vocalist they brought in isn't that good... I've heard this beat quite a bit before... Most certainly not a favorite of mine.
    Track Rating: 4.8/10 (Below Average)

Track 5: A for Andrew:
    Starts as just another generic screamo song... but as you get deeper into the song, a creepy dark piano theme starts to accompany the guitars and the screaming, it grows more in sync, then they start to mix the clean vocals and screaming vocals, and it ends up being good for a while. Then it starts getting deeper, the piano combination with the guitars is what sets this song apart. Not a bad song.
    Track Rating: 7.7/10 (Good)

Track 6: Smokahontas:
    Smokahontas is almost the definition of a generic screamo song. If it weren't for the amazing instruments used in this song, it would be horrible... But as it is, this type of song has been done so many times before.
    Track Rating: 4.3/10 (Below Average)

Track 7: AC-130:
    An interlude song, rather short, rather concise. It has some head banging moments. But it is pretty generic for the most part.
    Track Rating: 5.7/10 (Average)

Track 8: Fumbles O'Brian:
    An amazing song that was created for the sole purpose of making fun of mainstream rap. I thought they pulled it off quite spectacularly. This song is almost absent of breakdowns, with the exception of halfway in. It starts off with a rather catchy beat, then goes into a nice semi-melodic chorus, then alternates from screams to techno to screams and back again. One of the good songs worth looking at on the album.
    Track Rating: 7.9/10 (Good)

Track 9: Turbo Swag:
    It seems like a version of Renob, Nevada but without the pulse pounding introduction. Not a bad song, not a noteworthy one either. Check it out though, it's worth a listen or two.
    Track Rating: 7.0/10 (Good)

Track 10: Lonely:
    Finally... this is the type of song I wanted them to make. With help from a very talented clean vocalist named James Cameron, they pulled off what I have wanted to hear for a long time. A mix of Piano and Techno, and not the ridiculous keyboard junk that a lot of bands do, i'm talking about actual piano. Also... this song has an amazing dubstep ending... make sure you listen to the full song, it's ridiculous how epic it is. This is one of the best songs on the album, listen to it, you won't regret it, this song needs to be played at some clubs, it would be a hit.
    Track Rating: 9.1/10 (Amazing)

Overall Album Rating:
    7.18 (Good)

Final Words:
    A great album to dance to, to head-bang too and in general, to just listen to as well. It may not be the most original, but it most definitely has its moments.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:45 am